[lldb-dev] [RFC] Testsuite in lldb & possible future directions

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 7 07:57:19 PST 2018

On 7 February 2018 at 14:20, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:

> As someone who gave up on trying to set up a bot due to flakiness, I have a
> different experience.

I did not say it was easy to get to the present point, and I am
certain that the situation is much harder on windows. But I believe
this is due to reasons not related to the test runner (such various
posixism spread out over the codebase and the fact that windows uses a
completely different (i.e. lest tested) code path for debugging).

FWIW, we also have a windows bot running remote tests targetting
android. It's not as stable as the one hosted on linux, but most of
the issues I've seen there also do not point towards dotest.

> Rust is based on llvm so we have the tools necessary for that.  The rest are
> still maybe and someday so we can cross that bridge when (if) we come to it

I don't know enough about Rust to say whether that is true. If it uses
llvm as a backend then I guess we could check-in some rust-generated
IR to serve as a test case (but we still figure out what exactly to do
with it).

However, I would assert that even for C family languages a more
low-level approach than "$CC -g" for generating debug info would be
useful. People generally will not have their compiler and debugger
versions in sync, so we need tests that check we handle debug info
produced by older versions of clang (or gcc for that matter). And
then, there are the tests to make sure we handle "almost valid" debug
info gracefully...