[lldb-dev] FYI: LLDB DWARF tests on Windows are broken

Adrian McCarthy via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 6 17:17:45 PST 2018

It looks like tests of DWARF-specific functionality on Windows are failing
because we're actually generating CodeView in a PDB rather than DWARF.

For example, TestSignedTypes.py fails for reasons completely unrelated to
whether the types are signed or not.  Apparently DWARF and CodeView
consider the bounds of the live range for the variables to be slightly
different.  When using CodeView info, there's a `thread step-over` command
that takes you just outside the scope block, so the subsequent `frame
variable` command fails to produce the expected output.

The makefile creates compile steps with `-g` and link steps with
`-fuse-lld`, so you'd expect DWARF, but, due to recent changes in clang and
lld, this will actually produce CodeView/PDB when building for Windows.

I'll look into a fix tomorrow.  I'm told it might involve not only tweaking
the makefile flags for these tests, but also ensuring that the clang driver
passes the right flags to lld.