[lldb-dev] [RFC] Using Sphinx to generate documentation

Jonas Devlieghere via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 6 09:02:13 PST 2018

Hi everyone,

The current LLDB website is written in HTML which is hard to maintain. We have quite a bit of HTML code checked in which can make it hard to differentiate between documentation written by us and documentation generated by a tool. Furthermore I think text/RST files provide a lower barrier for new or casual contributors to fix or update.

In line with the other LLVM projects I propose generating the documentation with Sphix. I created a patch (https://reviews.llvm.org/D55376 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D55376>) that adds a new target docs-lldb-html when -DLLVM_ENABLE_SPHINX:BOOL is enabled. I've ported over some pages to give an idea of what this would look like in-tree. Before continuing with this rather tedious work I'd like to get feedback form the community.

Initially I started with the theme used by Clang because it's a default theme and doesn't require configuration. If we want to keep the sidebar we could use the one used by LLD.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jonas