[lldb-dev] race condition using gdb-remote over ssh port forwarding

Christopher Book via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 28 12:54:27 PST 2017

Hi Pavel, I think you are on the right track in that it already does seem
to wait for the gdbserver to be up using a pipe.

In StartDebugserverProcess it seems like there is a pipe created to tell
when the server is running.  Here is a comment:

    // socket_pipe is used by debug server to communicate back either
    // TCP port or domain socket name which it listens on.
    // The second purpose of the pipe to serve as a synchronization point -
    // once data is written to the pipe, debug server is up and running.

However, it looks like specifying --min-gdbserver-port and
--max-gdbserver-port cause the pipe to not be used for some reason.

Here is the gdbserver invocation when I don't specify the gdb min and max
port:
> lldb-server gdbserver tcp://<myip>:0 --native-regs --pipe 6

And here is the gdbserver invocation when I do specify the gdb port:
> lldb-server gdbserver tcp://<myip>:<mygdbport> --native-regs

Its not obvious to me from looking at the code why this is being skipped.
But I will debug further why this argument is not used in this case.

Thanks,
Chris