[lldb-dev] lldb 5.0 debugging a threaded C program on FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE (x86-64)

Dr. Rolf Jansen via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 16 12:18:50 PST 2017

Hello,

I am not sure whether this is an issue with FreeBSD or lldb, please point me into the right direction.

Recently I updated from FreeBSD 11 (system llvm/clang/lldb 4.0) to FreeBSD 11.1 (system llvm/clang/lldb 5.0). Now I am back working on one of my threaded server programs and in the past I happily used the ncurses GUI which is builtin to lldb for debugging.

Unfortunately, in my present setup, stepping over and into my code is quite cumbersome, because the GUI loses after each step the focus on the thread in which the step command was issued and switches the code window to another thread showing the assembly code of the accept() function in libc. In order to continue, I need to manually select the thread of my interest in the list of threads, and then I may issue the next step, which then lets the GUI lose its focus again and so on.

For the time being I step through my code without the GUI and then start the GUI only when I want to examine some variables.

I did not see this behaviour in FreeBSD 11 (system llvm/clang/lldb 4.0).

Any ideas, what is going on here? Any ideas for a workaround? In case this is a FreeBSD issue I would be glad to hear some keywords which I can use for a bug report.

Many thanks for any replies.

Best regards

Rolf