[lldb-dev] Python scripting in Windows LLDB

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 30 13:41:59 PDT 2017

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:34 PM Ted Woodward <ted.woodward at codeaurora.org>
wrote:

> I’ve seen crashes on Linux when building with 2.7.6 and using the 2.7.3
> .so/library directory, so I’m not willing to say building on Windows with
> 3.6.1 and using the 3.5.2 dll/library directory will work. Python has never
> been very forgiving when using a different setup than what you built with.

Well, never prior to 3.5 anyway.  That was literally one of the entire
points of requiring 3.5+ on Windows.  Python for Windows post 3.5 uses the
Universal CRT, which is forwards compatible. More information here:
http://stevedower.id.au/blog/building-for-python-3-5/

I can't speak to the issue of 2.7.6 vs 2.7.3 on Linux you experienced, but
on Windows the officially supported position of the Python project is that
you can install any version of Python post 3.5 and it "just works".