[lldb-dev] Support for Error Strings in remote protocol

Ravitheja Addepally via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 21 08:31:52 PDT 2017

Hello all,
       Currently the remote protocol in LLDB does not allow sending Error
Strings in response to remote packets, it only allows for "ENN" format
where N is a hex integer. In our current ongoing work, we would like to
have support for Sending Error Strings from lldb-server. I would like to
invite any opinions or suggestions in this matter ?

A very simple proposal would be to just attach an error string maybe as a
Name:Value Pair ? like so ->

EXX;"Error String"
 or
EXX;M"Error String"

I guess removing EXX would make it incompatible with gdb-server. Also
adding new packets to query errors might not be desired ?

Regards,
A Ravi Theja