[lldb-dev] Remote debugging - unix socket and/or specific port

Howard Hellyer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 28 06:18:30 PDT 2017

"lldb-dev" <lldb-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org> wrote on 24/07/2017 16:19:19:

> From: Mark Nelson via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> To: lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
> Date: 24/07/2017 16:19
> Subject: [lldb-dev] Remote debugging - unix socket and/or specific port
> Sent by: "lldb-dev" <lldb-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org>
>
> Has there been any change in this since reported here :
>
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/lldb-dev/2016-June/010616.html
>
> It is pretty clear that that the remote-linux platform is trying to
> open additional ports to talk to lldb-server, and if that server is
> in a container we need to expose them. But what ports, how many, how
> to specify? All uncertain.
>
> Looking at the source shows there are some (undocumented?) port
> commands in lldb-server platform, I'm wondering if this is a solved
> problem that just doesn't have an easy-to-search-for solution.

Hi Mark,

There's another thread here:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/lldb-dev/2017-February/012004.html
where I had an issue connecting to a remote lldb-server process on a
particular port.

As part of that I was using options to tell lldb-server what ports to use.
 (I submitted a fix for the connection issues but the options code was
written by someone else.)
There's some examples of the options in that thread but I did have a
summary in my own archives:

Option (short and long forms)           Purpose
--port-offset <port>, -p <port>         Specify an offset to return to the
port number returned for a new process.
--gdbserver-port <port> -P <port>               Return the specified port
number when a process is started. (Can specify multiple ports to use using
more than one, e.g. -P 1024 -P 2048 )
--min-gdbserver-port <port> -m <port>   Return a port number equal to or
greater than the specified port number when a process is started.
--max-gdbserver-port <port> -M <port>   Return a port number less than the
specified port number when a process is started.

I hope that helps,

Howard Hellyer
IBM Runtime Technologies, IBM Systems
Unless stated otherwise above: