[lldb-dev] SBStructuredData inconsistencies

Bruce Mitchener via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 21 23:23:12 PDT 2017

Hello,

I was adding support for `SBStructuredData` to my Rust bindings for the
LLDB API and noticed a couple of things.

Since 5.0 isn't out yet and these are newer API additions, I was hoping
there might still be time to fix this.

`SBStructuredData::GetFloatValue` returns a `double`, but other things that
return a `double` like `SBData` use "Double" in the name of the method:
`GetDouble`.

The `StructuredDataType` enumeration uses `-1` as the value for `Invalid`,
but other enumerations typically use `0` or even the occasional `1`. I
think that this enumeration is the only one that uses a `-1` within the
LLDB public APIs.

Could we rename the method to `GetDoubleValue`? And can we re-number the
enumeration values?

If so, I would like to get this in for the 5.0 release.

I know that Vadim Macagon has been using SBStructuredData from Python and
reported that the Python / SWIG interface for GetStringValue is awkward to
use, but I haven't looked into this myself yet.

Thanks,

 - Bruce