[lldb-dev] Breakpoint + callback performance ... Can it be faster?

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 13 05:33:31 PST 2017

Making the code persist is easy - that's sort of what expr --top-level does.

The tricky part is getting your code to execute. When you evaluate
expressions interactively, we manually modify the registers (PC being
the most important one) to point to the code you want to execute. If
you want it to happen automatically at runtime, you would have to
insert a jump instruction somewhere. The problem is, that can't
usually be done without overwriting a couple of instructions of
original code, which means you then have to somehow simulate the
effects of the overwritten instructions. And there's always a danger
that you will overwrite a jump target and things will blow up when
someone tries to jump there. The way this is normally done is that you
have the compiler insert hooks into your code during compilation, that
you can then intercept if necessary. I am not sure if that would fit
your use case.

pl