[lldb-dev] gdb-remote incompatibility with gdbserver?

David Manouchehri via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 4 17:56:31 PST 2017

My apologizes if this is mentioned somewhere already, couldn't find
anything on the subject; it seems that gdb-remote doesn't work very
well (or at all in my tests) with gdbserver.

Tim Hammerquist was also able to reproduce issues when attempting to
use gdb-remote with gdbserver. (Test with freebsd/gdbserver,
freebsd/lldb38, freebsd/gdbserver, and macos/lldb-900.0.57.)

Could we document this somewhere? It's not a large issue since there's
alternatives like lldb-server and Facebook's ds2, but it's a bit
confusing to new users who fairly expect a command called "gdb-remote"
to work with gdbserver.

root at 17e840390f4d:~# lldb-3.8 date
(lldb) target create "date"
Current executable set to 'date' (x86_64).
(lldb) # In another terminal: gdbserver localhost:4444 /tmp/date
(lldb) gdb-remote localhost:4444
Process 6593 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 6593, stop reason = signal SIGTRAP
    frame #0: 0xffffffffffffffff
(lldb) c
Process 6593 resuming
Process 6593 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 6593, stop reason = signal SIGTRAP
    frame #0: 0xffffffffffffffff
(lldb) c
Process 6593 resuming
Process 6593 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 6593, stop reason = signal SIGSEGV
    frame #0: 0xffffffffffffffff
(lldb) c
Process 6593 resuming
Process 6593 exited with status = 11 (0x0000000b)

Thanks,

David Manouchehri