[lldb-dev] Parallelizing loading of shared libraries

Scott Smith via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 28 08:04:54 PDT 2017

Hmmm ok, I don't like hard coding pools.  Your idea about limiting the
number of high level threads gave me an idea:

1. System has one high level TaskPool.
2. TaskPools have up to one child and one parent (the parent for the high
level TaskPool = nullptr).
3. When a worker starts up for a given TaskPool, it ensures a single child
exists.
4. There is a thread local variable that indicates which TaskPool that
thread enqueues into (via AddTask).  If that variable is nullptr, then it
is the high level TaskPool.Threads that are not workers enqueue into this
TaskPool.  If the thread is a worker thread, then the variable points to
the worker's child.
5. When creating a thread in a TaskPool, it's thread count AND the thread
count of the parent, grandparent, etc are incremented.
6. In the main worker loop, if there is no more work to do, OR the thread
count is too high, the worker "promotes" itself.  Promotion means:
a. decrement the thread count for the current task pool
b. if there is no parent, exit; otherwise, become a worker for the parent
task pool (and update the thread local TaskPool enqueue pointer).

The main points are:
1. We don't hard code the number of task pools; the code automatically uses
the fewest number of taskpools needed regardless of the number of places in
the code that want task pools.
2. When the child taskpools are busy, parent taskpools reduce their number
of workers over time to reduce oversubscription.

You can fiddle with the # of allowed threads per level; for example, if you
take into account number the height of the pool, and the number of child
threads, then you could allocate each level 1/2 of the number of threads as
the level below it, unless the level below wasn't using all the threads;
then the steady state would be 2 * cores, rather than height * cores.  I
think that it probably overkill though.