[lldb-dev] Improve performance of crc32 calculation

Ed Maste via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 21 19:07:59 PDT 2017

On 13 April 2017 at 07:28, Pavel Labath via lldb-dev
<lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Improving the checksumming speed is definitely a worthwhile contribution,
> but be aware that there is a pretty simple way to avoid computing the crc
> altogether, and that is to make sure your binaries have a build ID. This is
> generally as simple as adding -Wl,--build-id to your compiler flags.

FreeBSD's default toolchain still uses an ancient GNU ld that lacks
build-id support (on all platforms other than aarch64), so I'll be
very happy to see improvements in checksum speed. We're migrating to
LLD and will be able to use --build-id eventually, but it will be a
while yet.