[lldb-dev] running lldb-mi with LLDB_DISABLE_PYTHON

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 20 10:53:37 PDT 2016

If you use the MI, that assumes that the server process is the one doing most of the work.  lldb is not meant to be a light-weight program, and if you start feeding it a lot of symbol information you may find it taking up too many resources to really want to run it on your device.   For device debugging, it is more efficient to run lldb-server or some other monitor that speaks the gdb-remote protocol on the device and then run lldb on the host.  The gdb-remote servers can be much more efficient since they don't directly deal with debug or symbol information.  We've done a lot of work both for iOS and for Android to make lldb's handling of this way of debugging efficient.  The changes we made to the gdb-remote protocol to support this work are documented in docs/lldb-gdb-remote.txt, though lldb will also run correctly with a vanilla gdb-remote server.

Jim