[lldb-dev] LLDB support for python scripts in ELF section, like .debug_gdb_scripts in GDB

Enrico Granata via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 20 11:12:35 PDT 2016

LLDB has a similar feature, except:

a) it tries to load python scripts from dSYM bundles. If you have debug info stored in foo.dSYM, it will look for foo.dSYM/Contents/Resources/Python/foo.py
As far as I know, dSYMs only exist on Apple systems, so clearly you would need to design something else to load from places other than such debug info bundles

b) the feature is off by default, but there's a setting you can tweak to enable it. That is due to security concerns
I have given some thought to ideas in that space (e.g. code-signatures for the script files) but no code exists to back those thoughts

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 8:02 AM, Richard Geary via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Has LLDB considered adding per-binary support for LLDB python scripts,
> eg. for adding custom type summaries?
>
> This is the equivalent GDB feature
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/dotdebug_005fgdb_005fscripts-section.html
>
> GDB can load a custom python script from either a side-installed file
> or an ELF section.  This allows debugging of multiple binaries with
> different implementations of the pretty-printer.
>
> Any suggestions for LLDB workarounds would be welcome.

Thanks,
- Enrico
📩 egranata@.com ☎️ 27683