[lldb-dev] Enabling tests on the Windows LLVM buildbot

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 17 12:54:32 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I'm going to be submitting a change shortly to enable "ninja check-lldb" on
the upstream Windows lldb buildbot.  For now this is an experiment to see
how well this will go, but I would eventually like this to become
permanent.  As with build breakages, the bot needs to stay green, so here's
what I'm thinking:

1. If your change breaks the Windows buildbot, please check to see if it's
something obvious.  Did you use a Python string instead of a bytes?  Did
you hardcode /dev/null instead of using a portable approach?  Did you call
a function like getpid() in a test which doesn't exist on Windows?  Did you
hardcode _Z at the beginning of a symbol name instead of using a
mangling-aware approach?  Clear errors in patches should be fixed quickly
or reverted and resubmitted after being fixed.

2. If you can't identify why it's broken and/or need help debugging and
testing on Windows, please revert the patch in a timely manner and ask me
or Adrian for help.

3. If the test cannot be written in a way that will work on Windows (e.g.
requires pexpect, uses an unsupported debugger feature like watchpoints,
etc), then xfail or skip the test.

4. In some cases the test might be flaky.  If your patch appears to have
nothing to do with the failure message you're seeing in the log file, it
might be flaky.  Let it run again and see if it clears up.

Again, this is just an experiment, so I may turn this off if it doesn't end
up being a net positive.