[lldb-dev] Embedding lldb[server] in a CPU simulator

Tyro Software via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 17 05:01:54 PDT 2016

I have a simulator for a custom ["toy"] CPU running on Linux, to which I
want to add at least basic debugging support (e.g. stepping instructions,
reading/writing registers and memory), then driving this from lldb over a
local TCP socket.

I could implement this as a custom socket server handling the GDB Remote
Serial Protocol, like GDB server stubs that I've seen. But probably there's
already a suitable interface and library in LLDB for this, e.g. providing
the RSP parsing and basic state maintennce with callbacks/virtuals for the
target-specific actions?

Thanks for any guidance (and apologies that I'm probably using terminology
like "server" incorrectly and so overlooking the existing documentation)

/Tyro