[lldb-dev] Help needed regarding LLDB/MI

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 16 10:11:25 PDT 2016

> On Mar 11, 2016, at 9:30 AM, RISHABH GUPTA via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have started using LLDB/MI but there are some commands that are not working .I start the MI in terminal as "lldb-mi-3.6 --interpreter" and then launch the application that  I want to debug but commands like "n" ,"list","continue" ,"step" are not working.There is this error message that gets displayed on giving these commands
>
> "^error,msg="Driver. Received command 'command_name'. It was not handled. Command 'continue' not in Command Factory"

Was this something you were typing at a "(gdb)" prompt? If not, it sounds like your software is using GDB commands instead of using the actual MI commands and the best solutions is to fix your software to actually use the MI commands instead of sending GDB command interpreter commands.

I believe there is some way to send a gdb command line command, so if you have a "(gdb) " prompt, and we will pass the command along to LLDB.

> I tried looking for  the substitutes of these commands here https://github.com/llvm-mirror/lldb/tree/7535162178eada833e72a5525fc26dcc04e7331e/tools/lldb-mi  but could not find any.
>
> Could anyone please help me out with this?

So check if your IDE is not actually using MI. Your IDE shouldn't send a "continue" GDB command interpreter command, but it should send an "exec-continue" MI packet since you are using MI. Don't sent a "n" packet, but send a "exec-next" packet. Etc...

Let me know what your IDE is doing.

Greg