[lldb-dev] SymbolFile::FindGlobalVariables

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 11 13:02:57 PST 2016

How large of a change do you think it would be to abstract out the location
information for the variable?  As far as I can tell, our uses of this
DWARFExpression on Variables are very limited:

1. In ValueObjectVariable::UpdateValue and
ClangExpressionDeclMap::GetVariableValue, if the location is a constant
value, it refers to a a host address, we just read the value out as a
number.
2. In EntityVariable::Materialize(), we check whether it is valid.
3. In SymbolFileDWARF, we "evaluate" the expression.
4. In a few places, we check whether an input address matches the location
specified.
5. We dump the location to stdout in a few places.

Everything else could just as easily be private methods, because that's all
that public users of DWARFExpression actually use.

This seems like an easy abstraction to create.  #3 is irrelevant because
that code is in SymbolFileDWARF, it could downcast from Location to
DWARFLocation.  #1, 2, 4, and 5 could easily be implemented directly
against a PDB.

While I haven't tried to actually *do* either approach yet, I like the idea
of creating the abstraction because it provides the native / most optimized
debugging experience no matter what you're using.  For example, I can
easily imagine a scenario where I have to keep the PDB open in memory to
query some types of information, but I have to do a conversion of location
information for Variables, and the memory usage becomes unacceptable
because everything is memory twice (even though it's lazily evaluated, the
memory usage would double over time).