[lldb-dev] SymbolFile::FindGlobalVariables

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 11 11:47:30 PST 2016

The only "spec" is the API that allows you to access the info.  There's no
spec of the bit format.  This
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wwkta258.aspx> is probably all
you are actually looking for though:

The problem isn't necessarily that one is more pwoerful than the other,
it's just that PDBs can get huge (on the order of gigabytes), and
converting between formats is an unnecessary step that a) will be slow to
do the conversion, b) might not map 1 to 1 between the formats, and c) it'
already trivial (on the order of a few lines of code) to just query the PDB
for everything you need.

So we're talking about potentially thousands of lines of code to do
something that would take about 10 (as well as being more efficient) with a
proper abstraction.