[lldb-dev] What's the purpose of the TestStarted-XXX and TestFinished-XXX files?

Adrian McCarthy via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 9 14:32:20 PST 2016

The test traces directory tends to accumulate thousands and thousands of
TestStarted-XXX and TestFinished-XXX files.  What purpose do they serve?

I assume it's for trying to figure out why something went wrong.  If you
have a TestStarted-123 without a corresponding TestFinished-123, then you
can know that a test crashes and by looking inside the file, you can see
which test and what the command was.

If that's the case, then wouldn't it be cleaner to delete the TestStarted
file when the test finishes rather than writing a second file?  Then you
can simply search for TestStarted files to see the ones that didn't finish
successfully without the noise of thousands of others that did.

I suppose it's also possible that some other process is looking at these
files in order to collect statistics.  Is there such a beast and is it
valuable?

Adrian.