[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] Sequential ID Git hook

Reid Kleckner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 30 09:33:56 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:16 AM, James Y Knight via lldb-dev <
lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I don't think we should do any of that. It's too complicated -- and I
> don't see the reason to even do it.
>
> There's a need for the "llvm-project" repository -- that's been discussed
> plenty -- but where does the need for a separate "id" that must be pushed
> into all of the sub-projects come from? This is the first I've heard of
> that as a thing that needs to be done.
>
> There was a previous discussion about putting an sequential ID in the
> "llvm-project" repo commit messages (although, even that I'd say is
> unnecessary), but not anywhere else.

Agreed, the llvm-project repository can completely take on the role of the
SQL database in Renato's proposal.

Chromium created a "git-number" extension that assigns sequential ids to
commits in the obvious way, and that provided some continuity with the
"git-svn-id:" footers in commit messages. I'm not sure their extension is
particularly reusable, though:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/tools/depot_tools.git/+/master/git_number.py

I think for LLVM, whatever process updates the umbrella repo should add the
sequential IDs to the commit message, and that will help provide continuity
across the git/svn bridge.