[lldb-dev] [cfe-dev] Git Move: GitHub+modules proposal

Tom Honermann via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 29 08:50:16 PDT 2016

On 6/29/2016 10:03 AM, Renato Golin via cfe-dev wrote:
> Since the umbrella project cannot see the sub-modules' commits without
> some form of update, there are two ways to do this:
>
> P. Per push: Every push (not commit) on all other repositories will
> trigger a hook that will hit a URL on our server, telling it to
> generate an incremental ID, update some umbrella's SeqID property (or
> even a commit SHA) and update the sub-modules.

How would you coordinate dependent updates to the sub-modules?  For
example, in the case where someone makes a change to the LLVM sub-module
that requires changes to the Clang sub-module?  Would there be some way
for a developer to push both sets of updates as an atomic update to the
umbrella project?  It probably doesn't matter often, as long as the
updates to both sub-modules are pushed close together in time.

Tom.