[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] Git Move: GitHub+modules proposal

Renato Golin via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 27 08:10:57 PDT 2016

On 27 June 2016 at 15:39, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I probably missed something, but what was the main objection to
> just using submodules? This would put llvm inside clang instead of the
> other way around. When changing an API one currently has to

I don't think the consensus was to change the order of inclusion (llvm
into clang), but to *not* change anything else at this stage.

That's one of the reasons the umbrella project with sub-modules was
the most accepted solution, because we can later change the inclusion
order (if we all agree, etc), without changing the underlying storage.

> * Change llvm.
> * Change clang and in the same atomic commit change what revision the
> submodule points to.

Having one repository inside another was rejected due to the problems
it brings for development, validation and release. James has just
pointed a few of those problems for development.

An umbrella project with a commit hook and an auto-update would make
sure all commits are synchronised correctly. Though, indeed, this will
mean we'll still have the trouble of buildbots picking up one commit
and not the other, I don't think this is a big enough problem that we
should mess up everyone's workflow.

cheers,
--renato