[lldb-dev] GitHub anyone?

Tim Northover via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 10 11:25:12 PDT 2016

On 2 June 2016 at 08:48, Renato Golin via lldb-dev
<lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Of all those issues, Windows tooling is a minor problem that shouldn't
> impact decision that much and sub-modules need a lot of ironing out to
> be considered good enough. My *personal* take away is that sub-modules
> (or an alternative server side solution) is the only strong technical
> issue we need to solve before we decide.

I think Takumi's repository and script covers the real uses
(bisection, principally) as well as we need and probably better than
SVN. I suppose we might extend it to put an auto-incrementing revision
number in the commit message too, but that's trivial.

I think the responses in the thread have been heavily in favour
(including after AAron's mention in LLVM weekly), so we should either
get a more rigorous survey going as Tanya suggested (if we think it's
useful) or get started on the actual move.

I'm not really convinced that a survey would reach enough of a wider
audience to affect our actions here, though I think the results would
be very interesting anyway in the longer term (particularly on
preferred workflows).

>   How does a move look like?
>
> If we decide to move, the proposed schedule is something like this:
>
> STEP #1 : Pre Move
>
> [...]
> 1. Register an official GitHub project with the LLVM foundation.

Chandler already did that: https://github.com/llvm. So we're one step
in already!

Tim.