[lldb-dev] Heterogeneous debugging and HSA

Simon Brand via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 8 02:25:31 PDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I am a member of the HSA Foundation tools group, who are attempting to
standardise debugging and profiling interfaces for heterogeneous systems.

HSA is a low-level heterogeneous system architecture and software
platform. There are standards describing the architectural requirements,
an LLVM-IR-like intermediate language for portable HSA applications
(HSAIL), and a runtime interface for interacting with the system. We are
currently developing a standard for debugging HSA applications in a
vendor-independent manner.

By working together with other communities, we are hoping to extend
existing debuggers and standards to support such systems. To this end,
I'm hoping to start a conversation with you all about how LLDB could be
augmented to support heterogeneous debugging, and to ask for input about
the standards we are writing.

To aid these discussions and provide a testbed for ideas, I have
modified LLDB to support debugging HSA programs on AMD's hardware. My
aim for this project is to adapt it to the standard HSA debugging
interface once this is completed, so that it could debug HSA
applications on any vendor's implementation.

Currently, the changes I have made to LLDB are in no state for
upstreaming to trunk LLDB, as I have made some HSA-specific alterations
to core parts of the code base. My hope is that, aided by discussion
with the community, I can abstract out these modifications to support
the necessary features in an elegant and extensible manner. This would
most likely involve changing the threading model of LLDB to support
groups of threads which run on different devices and a "some-stop" model
by which some thread groups can continue to execute whilst others are
stopped. I plan on starting work on this soon, but I wonder if anyone
else is already exploring this avenue?

If you would like to examine the code for my LLDB port or try it out,
you can get the code here:
https://github.com/HSAFoundation/HSA-Debugger-LLDB-Source

For our debugging standard, we are currently trying to work out the best
way to express the multiple address spaces of HSA in DWARF and get an
idea of how this is handled by GDB and LLDB. Our current thinking is to
use DW_AT_address_class for pointers types and DW_op_xdref for
variables. I couldn't see anywhere these are handled in LLDB; is there
any ongoing work to add them? Or would you recommend a different approach?

Feel free to send me any queries or issues regarding the LLDB
implementation or the HSA standards work.

Thanks,

Simon Brand

--
Simon Brand
Staff Software Engineer

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and /or privileged information and is for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Codeplay Software Ltd immediately and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it, or use or disclose its contents to any other person. Any views or other information in this message which do not relate to our business are not authorized by Codeplay software Ltd, nor does this message form part of any contract unless so stated.
As internet communications are capable of data corruption Codeplay Software Ltd does not accept any responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent. Please note that Codeplay Software Ltd does not accept any liability or responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan any attachments.
Company registered in England and Wales, number: 04567874
Registered office: 81 Linkfield Street, Redhill RH1 6BY