[lldb-dev] Switching to git (Windows experience) (was re:[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?)

Aaron Ballman via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 05:43:13 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> I think we should start two other threads: one about git tooling on Windows
> and one about infrastructure problems migrating to git.

Some developers on Windows prefer to use GUI tools like TortoiseSVN to
command line tools for version control. The last time I tried
TortoiseGit on Windows (which was over a year ago), it did not feel
ready for production use on a complex project to me (I had crashes on
simple operations, and it seems I was not alone in seeing flaky
behavior: https://gitlab.com/tortoisegit/tortoisegit/issues/1738 and
https://gitlab.com/tortoisegit/tortoisegit/issues/2494 as examples).

Are there suitable GUI tools for git on Windows for projects as
complex as LLVM? I believe MSVC has some integration, but I've not
used it before. Perhaps other tools exist that match the integration
and stability that TortoiseSVN has with Explorer?

I bring this up as a possible minor concern because asking people to
switch from one set of command line commands to another set of command
line commands is a different beast than asking people to switch from
Explorer-integrated menus and dialogs to the command line (that's a
drastically different workflow to achieve the same end result of
source code version control).

~Aaron