[lldb-dev] Interest in enabling -Werror by default

Saleem Abdulrasool via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 16 08:31:01 PST 2016

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016, Tamas Berghammer <tberghammer at google.com>
wrote:

> I would be happy if we can keep lldb warning free but I don't think
> enabling -Werror is a good idea for 2 reasons:
> * We are using a lot of different compiler and keeping the codebase
> warning free on all of them might not be feasible especially for the less
> used, older gcc versions.
> * Neither llvm nor clang have -Werror enabled so if we enable it then a
> clang/llvm change can break our build with a warning when it is hard to
> justify a revert and a fix might not be trivial.

Err, sorry.  I meant by default on the build bots (IIRC, some (many?) of
the build bots do build with -Werror for LLVM and clang).  Yes, a new
warning in clang could cause issues in LLDB, though the same thing exists
for the LLVM/clang dependency.  Since this would be on the build bots, it
should get resolved rather quickly.

In short term I would prefer to just create a policy saying everybody