[lldb-dev] Interest in enabling -Werror by default

Tamas Berghammer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 16 03:24:29 PST 2016

I would be happy if we can keep lldb warning free but I don't think
enabling -Werror is a good idea for 2 reasons:
* We are using a lot of different compiler and keeping the codebase warning
free on all of them might not be feasible especially for the less used,
older gcc versions.
* Neither llvm nor clang have -Werror enabled so if we enable it then a
clang/llvm change can break our build with a warning when it is hard to
justify a revert and a fix might not be trivial.

In short term I would prefer to just create a policy saying everybody
should write warning free code for lldb (I think it already kind of exists)
and we as a community try to ensure it during code review and with fixing
the possible things what slip through. In the longer term I would be happy
to see -Werror turned on for llvm and clang first and then we can follow up
with lldb but making this change will require a lot of discussion and might
get some push back.