[lldb-dev] Making a new symbol provider

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 12 11:01:18 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 5:35 PM Greg Clayton <gclayton at apple.com> wrote:

> > 5. ParseCompileUnitLineTable.  On the LineTable class you can add "line
> sequences" or individual entries.  What's the difference here?  Is there
> any disadvantage to adding every single line entry in the line table using
> the InsertLineEntry instead of building a line sequence and inserting the
> sequence?
>
> The rule follows DWARF line tables: line sequences must be an array of
> line entries whose addresses are always increasing. You can add every line
> in sequence as long as the line entries are in increasing address order. We
> are going to sort the line entries into an array that is sorted for quick
> lookups.

Just to make sure I understand, semantically here, there is nothing special
about a line sequence, it's just an optimization to let LineTable know
you're giving it sorted values?  So any lines you add via a LineSequence,
could also be added individually with insertLine, but it would be slower?
And aside from that everything else would still work as expected?