[lldb-dev] Linux ELF header e_ident[EI_OSABI] value

Howard Hellyer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 30 07:33:11 PDT 2016

"Ted Woodward" <ted.woodward at codeaurora.org> wrote on 26/08/2016 16:17:18:

> That works fine for host debug, but not so much for embedded. On
> Hexagon, we support 2 OS cases – standalone (which means no OS, or
> an OS that lldb doesn’t know anything about) and Linux. Both our
> standalone simulator and our Linux generate core dumps using
> ELFOSABI_NONE. We run lldb on both x86 Linux and Windows, and our
> core dumps need to work on both.

Ah, cross compiling/debugging makes that an even worse idea.

> Doesn’t lldb get the correct OS from the target when you load them
together?

Yes, I'm just used to getting dumps from customers which don't always come
with the executable, or the right executable, and was testing that
scenario when I started looking into this.

Howard Hellyer
IBM Runtime Technologies, IBM Systems
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.