[lldb-dev] Linux ELF header e_ident[EI_OSABI] value

Ed Maste via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 23 06:38:34 PDT 2016

On 22 August 2016 at 16:03, Ted Woodward via lldb-dev
<lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> We don't want to make ELFOSABI_NONE mean Linux. ELFOSABI_NONE is historically ELFOSABI_SYSV, and used by a lot of things. So not all core files identified as ELFOSABI_NONE are Linux.

Indeed, and that's true for binaries and libraries too. For one
specific example, FreeBSD/arm64 binaries have ELFOSABI_NONE (as
specified by the AArch64 ABI).

LLDB's OS detection from binaries and core files is (or was?) rather
awkward and I hope we can clean it up, but treating ELFOSABI_NONE as
Linux is a nonstarter.