[lldb-dev] Accessing DWARF information from C++

Stefan Kratochwil via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 13 02:42:27 PDT 2015

Hi altogether,

I currently am developing an application where I need to access the
DWARF debugging information of my target process and its loaded .so files.

In more detail, I need to match type information of certain entities
within my code and its dynamically linked libraries.

I already use the lldb scripting bridge in my application, hence I would
like to use lldb's DWARF parsing capabilities in my application, too.

Now, there is no (obvious) way to extract DIEs using the C++ API, so I
need a few hints where to start. Does anyone have a minimal example for
simply dumping DWARF info in a 'readelf -w' manner?

I further  discovered another DWARF implementation within the llvm
sources. After some investigation I found this discussion on lldb-dev:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/lldb-dev/2014-June/004197.html

Does anybody know if there is already some effort made to implement a
lldwarf solution as a replacement for both mentioned implementations?

And, after going through the discussion, is it probably better for me to
use the llvm fork?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Stefan