[lldb-dev] LLDB Windows Python Bindings

Aidan Dodds via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 20 10:05:34 PST 2015

First off thanks for opening that up to the mailing list, it will be
good if discussion of this is useful to others.

 From the python 3.5 case:
I'm not using ninja.build, but instead just compiling from the visual
studio ide.  However, the custom build step I think you were referring
to for finish_swig seems to be:

setlocal
"C:\Program Files (x86)\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -E copy
C:\Python35\python35.dll D:\rs_project\rs_llvm_build\$(Configuration)\bin
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd
:cmEnd
endlocal & call :cmErrorLevel %errorlevel% & goto :cmDone
:cmErrorLevel
exit /b %1
:cmDone
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :VCEnd

The exact error message for building finish_swig was the following:

------ Build started: Project: finish_swig, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
Build started 20/11/2015 17:27:07.
InitializeBuildStatus:
   Touching "x64\Debug\finish_swig\finish_swig.tlog\unsuccessfulbuild".
CustomBuild:
   Python script sym-linking LLDB Python API
   Traceback (most recent call last):
     File
"D:/rs_project/rs_llvm/tools/lldb/scripts/finishSwigWrapperClasses.py",
line 383, in <module>
       main(sys.argv[1:])
     File
"D:/rs_project/rs_llvm/tools/lldb/scripts/finishSwigWrapperClasses.py",
line 326, in main
       nResult, strMsg =
run_post_process_for_each_script_supported(dictArgs)
     File
"D:/rs_project/rs_llvm/tools/lldb/scripts/finishSwigWrapperClasses.py",
line 281, in run_post_process_for_each_script_supported
       vDictArgs)
     File
"D:/rs_project/rs_llvm/tools/lldb/scripts/finishSwigWrapperClasses.py",
line 223, in run_post_process
       module = __import__(strModuleName)
     File
"d:\rs_project\rs_llvm\tools\lldb\scripts\python\finishSwigPythonLLDB.py",
line 42, in <module>
       import ctypes       # Invoke Windows API for creating symlinks
     File "C:\Python35\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
       from _ctypes import Union, Structure, Array
   ImportError: No module named '_ctypes'

For the python 2.7 case:

The error I see in CMake is the following:

-- Found Python version 2.7.10+

Unable to find C:/Python27/libs/python27+_d.lib

Unable to find C:/Python27/libs/python27+.lib

Unable to find C:/Python27/python27+_d.dll

Unable to find C:/Python27/python27+.dll

Python installation is corrupt. Python support will be disabled for this
build.

I'm not sure where the + comes from however...

Aidan at AIDAN-PC /c/Python27
$ python --version
Python 2.7.10

Aidan at AIDAN-PC /c/Python27
$ python_d --version
Python 2.7.10

As for the CMake options its again complicated because I'm using cmake-gui.
Hopefully the relevant params are:

PYTHON_EXCUTABLE = c:/python27/python_d.exe
PYTHON_HOME = c:/python27
LLDB_DISABLE_PYTHON = False
LLDB_RELOCATABLE_PYTHON = False
SWIG_DIR = d:/swig/lib
SWIG_EXECUTABLE = d:/swig/swig.exe
SWIG_VERSION = 3.0.5

I am using Visual Studio 2013 and doing an x86_64 build.
I compiled the python interpreter with the same version also.

Its not a requirement for me to custom python for any reason, I just
remember there being issues with using the release package.

Thanks,
Aidan