[lldb-dev] bindings as service idea

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 19 13:41:08 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM Ted Woodward <ted.woodward at codeaurora.org>
wrote:

> For our builds at QUIC, we're not interested in hitting an external server
> to get code. So we'd either hit the server when needed and check in the
> resultant bindings, or  (preferably) use bindings from upstream.

Right, and this is actually what I'm proposing.  You only hit the service
when you are editing a swig interface file and you need to generate updated
code.  Otherwise the latest version of the bindings is already checked out
in your repository.

And even then, you only *really* need to hit it when you physically cannot
(for whatever reason) or do not want to install swig on your machine.
There can still be a local path, that says "use the swig installed on my
machine".  Of course, if we're going to standardize on a version, it will
be the version of swig that the service runs.   So whatever version you
have on your machine -- if you intend to check in those bindings -- need to
be the same version used by the service.