[lldb-dev] Crash reporting in clang/lldb

jingham at apple.com jingham at apple.com
Mon May 18 16:48:47 PDT 2015

> On May 18, 2015, at 4:31 PM, Vince Harron <vince at nethacker.com> wrote:
>
> +llvmdev
> -llvm-dev
>

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Vince Harron <vince at nethacker.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to integrate crash reporting into Android developer tools, starting with lldb and clang.  Google Breakpad seems like a reasonable option.
>
> https://code.google.com/p/google-breakpad/
>
> Of course, it will only be enabled when the user has allowed it.
>
> The LLDB project is interested but it makes sense to us to push crash reporting down into llvm to make it available to all llvm projects.
>
> There are a couple of options here:
>
> 1) integrate this only downstream in our repo
> 2) integrate in lldb ToT, defaulted to off by #defines
> 3) integrate in lldb ToT without #define requirements
>
> I would prefer #3
>
> Thoughts?

I would prefer #3.  You already have to assemble a bunch of pieces to start doing lldb development, I'd rather not add another.

Also, I'd prefer to have this OFF for debug builds: getting reports of development lldb's crashing is not helpful for anything other than telling whether I (or you, or Greg...) are having a good day...

If the "allow crash reporting" is a system or user-wide setting, then the best way to do this and NOT force all lldb developers to turn off crash-reporting for the lldb installed on their system is to have some defines that are not set in the debug build.

Jim