[lldb-dev] Increasing support for other gdbservers

Aidan Dodds aidan at codeplay.com
Fri Mar 27 04:33:32 PDT 2015

Hi Folks,

I would like to add better support for gdbserver from the gnu toolchain
and similar legacy gdb stubs in lldb.
The work going into lldb-gdbserver is great but it is not always a
possible to change the remote gdb stub, and there are so many tools and
devices with older gdb stubs in them.

It seems like process gdb-remote has moved hand in hand with
lldb-gdbserver away from gnu gdbservers RSP protocol.

Does anyone have an suggestions when it comes to adding lldb support for
traditional gdbservers?

There seems like two obvious approaches; extend gdb-remote or create a
gdb-legacy plugin.
To my mind the second approach may be cleaner, and a large amount of
common code could be shared between the two.

Another approach would be to incorporate a plugin system into gdb-remote
to ease the addition of new packets and handling routines.

I am interested to hear thoughts, suggestions and feedback on this topic.

Thanks,
Aidan