[lldb-dev] Circular library dependencies

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Tue Mar 17 13:39:09 PDT 2015

I agree that it should be organized by functionality, but I think it's
possible to organize it by functionality in a way that better linking falls
out naturally as a consequence.  Also I'm not really talking about a major
restructuring of every project, but just hitting a few key points.  A good
example is how source/lldb has 2 random cpp files dropped in, lldb-log.cpp
and lldb.cpp.  The way the CMake build works is that we treat all source
files in a particular directory (and sometimes in sub-directories) as
belonging to the same target, and each target is compiled to a .a file (or
.lib file on Windows).  So source/lldb.cpp and source/lldb-log.cpp get put
into something I've called lldbBase.a / .lib.  Now, since *everything* in
the codebase depends on logging, we have to link everything against
lldbBase, which also means lldb.o.  And lldb.o depends on pretty much
everything in the entire project.

The way this came up in context is that our unit test runner builds
multiple executables, one for each component being tested.  This makes the
link time scale really horribly, because it's having to look at every .lib
in all of LLDB just to link against one class.

In any case, the organization also doesn't make much sense.  You can't use
either source/lldb-log.cpp or source/Core/Log.cpp without the other, so
seems to me they should both be in source/Core.  and lldb.cpp is kind of
its own thing that is only necessary for global LLDB initialization, so it
could be off by itself in like source/Initialize or something.

So that's one example of something I wanted to fix.  So to sum up, I agree
we shouldn't do anything that's purely an optimization and has no benefit
to code organization, but I think there's some places where the
organization could improve and the rest would happen naturally.