[lldb-dev] "redacted" symbol names

Sridhar sridhar124 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:22:05 PDT 2015

Hi guys,

I am new to lldb and I was trying to debug a "non debug" stack which I
don't have source code for it. In the call stack it shows something like
below. (It is arm64 iOS binary)

frame #1: 0x00000001905d89dc AVLib`<redacted> + 80

I am not quite understand the reason behind showing the symbol name as
"redacted". They are objective C methods and dispatch blocks. C symbols are
actually fine. If I dissemble using IDA, it shows those symbol names
properly. Those symbols are from an external static lib and I loaded them
using add image command. When I search those symbols using "image lookup"
it shows all symbols from the static lib. So when I put a break point on
those symbols, it won't stop. Is there anyway to resolve the symbol names
and properly stop at breakpoint on these symbols ?

I also see, incorrect calls symbols inside frames but when I step through
them they change to actual call frames.

e.g the below call really won't go to VRTracePrint but some other symbol.

0x1905d8a18:  orr    w0, wzr, #0x3

0x1905d8a1c:  movz   w3, #651

0x1905d8a20:  bl     0x190618244               ; symbol stub for:
VRTracePrint_

Thanks,

Sri