[lldb-dev] [LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] LLVM 3.7 release plan and call for testers

Hans Wennborg hans at chromium.org
Thu Jun 25 10:02:19 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 6:34 AM, Pavel Labath <labath at google.com> wrote:
> On 24 June 2015 at 23:56, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 24 June 2015 at 13:46, Hans Wennborg <hans at chromium.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The main objective is to make sure everything compiles and works in
>>> the released version of the code, so checking out and testing the code
>>> once we've branched, filing bugs and trying to get them fixed is
>>> basically what the release is all about.
>>
>> I'll do this for FreeBSD (unless Dimitry gets to it first).
> Ok, I can do this for linux, at least for the rc1 phase. I am going on
> vacation at the end of july.

Sounds great.

> Does llvm+clang have some automated testing infrastructure for
> releases, such as buildbots pointing to the release branches?

Unfortunately not. It's down to the testers to keep the release branch
working. In practice, commit traffic on the branch is usually
relatively low, so it has worked well in the past.

>>> For Clang and the main llvm libraries, we provide pre-built binaries
>>> in the release, built with the utils/release/test-release.sh script. I
>>> don't know if it would be practical to do this for lldb as well.
>>
>> We could, but I don't think there is nearly as much value in doing this for
>> lldb as for clang/llvm.
>
> I think having prebuilt binaries of lldb would be a good thing, as it
> would make it much easier for people to try it out. I see a couple of
> possible problems with this:
> - clang uses configure+make to build the release version. We usually
> build with cmake and I don't think anybody seriously tests the
> configure build of lldb. However I guess it should be possible to make
> configure work, or we can provide lldb binaries built with cmake. I
> know there are some plans to deprecate the configure build, do you
> have any idea what's the progress of that?

Yes, the plan is to use cmake for the release binaries this time for
the majority of platforms. I have a patch out for the release script
here: http://reviews.llvm.org/D10715

> - lldb has a smaller set of supported architectures than clang. It
> should build (or we can easily make it build) on the different
> flavours of linux x86(_64). With some effort, it should build on
> arm/aarch64/mips, but except arm, these targets are in a pretty bad
> shape.

That's ok, we could just build for whatever architecture works and
someone is willing to test.

> - lldb is much less stable than clang. However, since we are already
> releasing it as part of 3.7, i see no reason to not provide binaries
> as well.

If someone is willing to build and test, I'm willing to ship :-)

Cheers,
Hans