[lldb-dev] ARM AARCH64 and AARCH32 in the same debugger

Colin Riley colin at codeplay.com
Tue Jan 13 01:41:10 PST 2015

One of the issues here is the ability to capture the context of the
current debugging situation, and it depends on a whole lot of variables.

With JTAG gdbservers it may not care that much about the difference in
programs at the developer/process/OS level. It may simply provide static
single thread per core. There is not enough information here, but, in
this instance, it can be represented with a single target to be seen by
LLDB. LLDB will have to do the heavy lifting at this point to switch
archs and locate 'real' thread information which we have done in the
past with success. In this mode, the user at least gets a single
coherent view of what is being debugged. Single stepping from one 'arch'
to another can be possible seamlessly, given a good implementation.

The other situation, which is mentioned before, uses multiple targets.
This works correctly if you have multiple gdbservers for the separate
bits of what is being debugged, although, from a developer standpoint,
things get complicated:

1) There is no 'high level view' of the current debugging situation at
any present time.
2) There is no cooperation between the targets, _even_ if they share
resources like memory.
3) Single stepping from one target to the other is not seamless.
4) Events can be missed from one target whilst debugging the other.
5) goes on..

This is why last year I suggest we start preparing for some sort of
higher-level platform which can manage multiple targets in a way which
makes sense for a given architecture/soc/system/whatever. It can
understand memory can be shared between targets, and therefore
watchpoints can trigger events on different platforms. It can understand
in a single stepping situation there may be a need to switch targets
given a set of circumstances to allow for a seamless experience to
developers.

At this point, whilst multiple target debugging works, it's value can be
so much more. Especially given the targets LLDB is tending to support;
parts of larger SoCs.

Colin

On 13/01/2015 00:45, Jason Molenda wrote:
> FWIW we were talking about this a little bit.  Assuming I'm correct that you have one communication channel to the JTAG probe (one gdb-remote connection), when you step from aarch32 user process code to aarch64 hypervisor code it's not just an architecture change -- we're changing to an entirely different program (kernel versus user code).
>
> This genuinely does need to be represented in lldb as two separate Targets that coexist simultaneously.  Only one of them will be executing at any given time - so there would need to be some way for lldb to hand off from userland Target to kernel Target.  That's definitely something new.
>
> If there are separate probes/gdb-remote communication channels for these -- maybe the kernel is running on one core and the user process on another -- then it's easy.
>

> The EFI example I mentioned earlier where a processor changes its mode (16/32, then 64 bit) as it starts up is not a good comparison.  In that case a single program is being debugged through the entire transition - it's just the architecture that has changed mid-debug-session.

>> On Jan 12, 2015, at 2:47 PM, Jason Molenda <jmolenda at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm guessing the JTAG probe vends a single gdb-remote connection that is either seeing the user-process aarch32 or the hypervisor aarch64 at any given time.  So you're stepping along in aarch32 mode and then it syscalls out to aarch64, all within a single Target.
>>
>> I think this is akin to the folks doing the low-level startup routines on x86 machines - it changes its architecture from 32-bit to 64-bit as it brings up the system.  From lldb's point of view this is a single Target that changes architecture during the debug session.
>>

>>> On Jan 12, 2015, at 2:36 PM, Greg Clayton <gclayton at apple.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes you can: you can have one target for the 32 bit ARM and one for the 64 bit one. You currently can't have one target (process) be both 32 and 64 bit, but you can do this with two targets. I am guessing you would have one target that is debugging the user space process and one for the 64 bit hypervisor routine which I am assuming is the kernel?
>>>
>>> This is exactly why we developed LLDB with a modular plug-in based architecture.
>>>
>>> Greg

- Colin Riley
Games Technology Director

Codeplay Software Ltd
45 York Place, Edinburgh, EH1 3HP
Tel: 0131 466 0503
Fax: 0131 557 6600
Website: http://www.codeplay.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/codeplaysoft

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and /or privileged information and is for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Codeplay Software Ltd immediately and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it,or use or disclose its contents to any other person. Any views or other information in this message which do not relate to our business are not authorized by Codeplay software Ltd, nor does this message form part of any contract unless so stated.
As internet communications are capable of data corruption Codeplay Software Ltd does not accept any responsibility for any changes made to this message after it was sent. Please note that Codeplay Software Ltd does not accept any liability or responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan any attachments.
Company registered in England and Wales, number: 04567874
Registered office: 81 Linkfield Street, Redhill RH1 6BY