[lldb-dev] Problems with remote debugging connections

Vince Harron vharron at google.com
Wed Jan 7 16:47:05 PST 2015

Hi all,

I'm having a couple of problems with remote debugging.

1) lldb unable to connect to lldb-gdbserver
when lldb connects to platform, platform sends back a hostname that is
supposed to be used for connection to lldb-gdbserver.  Unfortunately, for
my VM targets without DNS entries, the hostnames they return are useless.
A much better strategy is to re-use the hostname in the platform connect
url to connect to the lldb-gdbserver.

2) lldb-gdbserver refuses connection from lldb.
Similarly, qLaunchGDBServer includes a host name that lldb-gdbserver is
allowed to accept connections from.  If, for whatever reason, my source
host doesn't have a DNS entry, this will fail.

Also, if I platform connect to localhost, lldb-gdbserver will see the
remote ip address as 127.0.0.1 which will not to match the DNS lookup of my
hostname.  A much better strategy is to just allow connections from the IP
address that lldb-platform is currently communicating with.

I think these changes will work with all existing use cases and add many
more use cases without compromising security.

I'm working on these changes now.  I'm going to add the ability for a
connection object to return either a remote hostname or a SocketAddress.

Questions/concerns?

Sincerely,

Vince

--