[lldb-dev] Interactive commands in LLDB

Siva Chandra sivachandra at google.com
Thu Feb 26 11:16:51 PST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:06 AM,  <jingham at apple.com> wrote:
> I'd say it another way.  Instead of spending the time on this explore
> command, which requires you to re-do the labor every time you want
> to inspect data of that type, produce a rough equivalent but whose
> job is to interactively produce a synthetic child provider for a particular
> data type.  These aren't hard to write, but you have to know Python &
> the SB API's so there a bit of a barrier to using them.  If there was a
> way to say: if A is 5, then view these three fields, if 6 view these other
> three, etc, I think that would be pretty neat.

While I personally disagree* with this, I will stop here.

* There are many reasons. One of them is that, one could be dealing
with moving targets. Hence, moving the data formatter along with the
targets is double the work. Another reason is, if I were a library
dev, an "explore" command is provided by my tool chain and can be used
even before the data formatters are written for my data structures.