[lldb-dev] Is qRegisterInfo required

Keno Fischer kfischer at college.harvard.edu
Sat Feb 21 20:48:44 PST 2015

Hello everyone,

I'm playing around with having lldb connect to a custom gdbserver (which
doesn't support the
qRegisterInfo query). I started out by writing a simple stub ABI plugin
that defines the register
table for my target, but reading further through the code, I'm somewhat
confused by the separation of concerns here. In particular, it seems like
having the gdbserver provide qRegisterInfo is required unless runnning on
ARM in which case GDBRemoteDynamicRegisterInfo::HardcodeARMRegisters will
add it using has a copy of the Register table from the ABI. I was under the
impression that supporting qRegisterInfo was a good idea if registers ever
change/get added but was not required and LLDB would fall back on the ABI
plugin. Is that not the case? And if not, why not?

Keno