[lldb-dev] Building a command plugin for lldb

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Fri Feb 20 15:57:02 PST 2015

Hi Mike,

Check out this thread from last year:

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/lldb-dev/2014-August/005049.html

The long and short is that this is actually a dead codepath.  Enrico (CC'ed
on this thread now) was the original author and had some original plans for
it, but it ended up not finding usage and now as far as anyone knows it's
totally unused.

Don't let that discourage you though.  It looks like the infrastructure is
there, it just needs some love to get it into a state that it meets your
needs.

As for the API stuff, I don't see a way around building all of LLDB to get
this.  That public API is going to need to call into the private API
somehow, and it does that by statically linking against it.  So you will
need to build all of LLDB.  Can you elaborate on how you envisioned using
the API?  It might be that there is some subset of the API that you're
interested in that doesn't need to depend on all the rest of LLDB.  Knowing
what that subset is would be a good starting point for further discussion
though.