[lldb-dev] Exclusively build and install LLDB?

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 2 10:36:09 PST 2015

Todd is right, at runtime lldb does need to find some of the clang include files in order to build modules for its own purposes.  On an OS X install, these headers are put in:

LLDB.framework/Resources/Clang

and are:

 > ls
./			avx512vlbwintrin.h	lzcntintrin.h		stdatomic.h
../			avx512vlintrin.h	mm3dnow.h		stdbool.h
Intrin.h		avxintrin.h		mm_malloc.h		stddef.h
__stddef_max_align_t.h	bmi2intrin.h		mmintrin.h		stdint.h
__wmmintrin_aes.h	bmiintrin.h		module.modulemap	stdnoreturn.h
__wmmintrin_pclmul.h	cpuid.h			nmmintrin.h		tbmintrin.h
adxintrin.h		emmintrin.h		pmmintrin.h		tgmath.h
altivec.h		f16cintrin.h		popcntintrin.h		tmmintrin.h
ammintrin.h		float.h			prfchwintrin.h		unwind.h
arm_acle.h		fma4intrin.h		rdseedintrin.h		vadefs.h
arm_neon.h		fmaintrin.h		rtmintrin.h		varargs.h
avx2intrin.h		ia32intrin.h		shaintrin.h		wmmintrin.h
avx512bwintrin.h	immintrin.h		smmintrin.h		x86intrin.h
avx512erintrin.h	iso646.h		stdalign.h		xmmintrin.h
avx512fintrin.h		limits.h		stdarg.h		xopintrin.h

Other than that, lldb shouldn't need to install any other clang bits for its own purposes - and on OS X at least lldb only installs itself and not any of the clang binaries, so in practice this can be made to work.

Also, building lldb requires a lot of clang/llvm headers that I don't think get installed in the normal course of things.  So I'm not sure how easy it is going to be to build lldb against an installed llvm/clang.  I couldn't tell for sure whether this was another of your goals, but it may take a fair bit of monkeying around if you want to do things this way.

Jim