[lldb-dev] Test suite rebuilding test executables many times

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 26 02:00:47 PDT 2015

On 26 August 2015 at 06:14, Zachary Turner via lldb-dev
<lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'll wait and see if anyone can remember which tests rebuild binaries on
> purpose.  Otherwise I will try to look through them and see if I can figure
> it out.

TestInferiorChanged is one that I remember.

I think this is a good thing to do, but it will need to be done with a
steady hand.

I was also thinking about the dsym/dwo tests.. Instead of basically
having a copy of each test for dwarf and dsym (and soon also dwo), how
about having just one test, and have some higher level logic (the test
runner) know that it needs to execute each test multiple times. The
tests would then just do a buildDefault() (or something) and on the
first run it would build normal dwarf, on the second one dsym, etc. If
we need to run a test only for some combination of debug infos, we
could have @skipIfDsym annotations, like we do for the rest of stuff.
I think this will make what Zachary is proposing easier to do, and it
will make the test writing less awkard.

What do you think? I'm ready to chip in on this if we agree to go down
this way...

pl