[lldb-dev] Test suite rebuilding test executables many times

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 25 16:34:00 PDT 2015

While looking into a Windows-specific issue involving TestTargetAPI.py, I
noticed that we are building the exact same executable many times.  Every
single test has a line such as self.buildDwarf() or self.buildDsym().
Those functions will first run make clean and then run make, essentially
rebuilding the exact same program.

Is this necessary for some reason?  Each test suite already supports
suite-specific setup and tear down by implementing a suite-specific setUp
and tearDown function.  Any particular reason we can't build the
executables a single time in setUp and clean them a single time in tearDown?

I don't think we need to retro-actively do this for every single test suite
as it would be churn, but in a couple of places it would actually fix test
failures on Windows, and improve performance of the test suite as a side
benefit (as a result of reducing the number of compilations that need to
happen)

Thoughts?