[lldb-dev] Is there a way to know whether a variable have been init?

Greg Clayton gclayton at apple.com
Fri Sep 5 12:48:43 PDT 2014

Most compilers don't adequately describe variable lifetimes in the DWARF debug info. They have the option to describe them, but most just make a slot on the stack and say the variable is in scope in the address range of the lexical block that the variable is defined in. They could describe this in detail, but they just don't and there is no way to tell when they are or are not fully describing variable locations.

If you truly want to detect this stuff, you should build your program with the address sanitizer. It can catch use of uninitialized memory issues you seem to want to catch.

Greg