[lldb-dev] Editline Rewrite : issues surround wide character handling on different platforms

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Tue Oct 28 13:55:33 PDT 2014

On Tue Oct 28 2014 at 1:46:26 PM Vince Harron <vharron at google.com> wrote:

> > - rework the Editline rewrite, so it either uses standard 8 bit chars,
> or wchar_t/utf8 depending on the platform.  This would be conditionally
> built depending on the platform.
>
> This would be my favorite option if possible.  wchar_t never really took
> roots in Linux AFAIK.

Also probably the best option for Windows, although it's worth pointing out
that at least for now, most other stuff in LLDB doesn't really use wide
character strings either, so char would be the path of least resistance for
Windows right now.

Personally I'm a fan of just always using utf8 in std::strings for
everything.  If your OS expects things in a different format (as Windows
sometimes does, you can do the conversion in your OS abstraction layer, or
before you call whatever API.